Utilize este identificador para referenciar este registo: http://hdl.handle.net/10400.19/1592
Título: Occurrence of Kimmelstiel-Wilson like lesions in the absence of diabetic nephropathy in dogs, may provide a natural model for further research in the corresponding human form
Autor: Mega, C.
Mesquita, J.
Nóbrega, C.
Cruz, R.
Esteves, F.
Santos, C.
Lemos, C.
Reis, F.
Vala, Helena
Palavras-chave: dog
Nodular glomerulosclerosis
Kimmelstiel-Wilson lesions (K-W)
non-diabetic chronic kidney disease (CKD)
Data: 2012
Citação: Mega C, Mesquita J, Nóbrega C, Cruz R, Esteves F, Santos C, Edite Teixeira de Lemos C, Flávio Reis, Vala H (2012). Occurrence of Kimmelstiel-Wilson like lesions in the absence of diabetic nephropathy in dogs, may provide a natural model for further research in the corresponding human form. Virchows Archiv. 461(Suppl 1): S131
Resumo: Background: Nodular glomerulosclerosis occurring in non-diabetic patients is an unexplained renal condition that resembles Kimmelstiel-Wilson lesions (K-W), associated almost exclusively with diabetic nephropathy. This study aimed to assess the presence of nodular glomerulosclerosis in dogs with non-diabetic chronic kidney disease (CKD) and evaluate similarities with human condition, and thus, establish the dog as a natural disease model for further studies. Methods: Kidneys from dogs (n=27) with non-diabetic CKD were evaluated for the presence of nodular glomerulosclerosis. Samples were stained with haematoxylin-eosin and periodic acid of Schiff. Lesions were classified as absent or present, the later, classified as non-convincing and convincing K-W like lesions. Results: Nodular glomerulosclerosis was present in 66.66% of evaluated cases (n=18), of which, 38.88% (n=7) were convincing K-W like lesions and the remaining 61.11% (n=11), although similar, didn’t exhibit typical microscopic characteristics and were classified as non-convincing. Fibrosis was positively associated to diagnosis of K-W lesions (OR=6; p<0.05). Conclusion: As in man, Kimmelstiel-Wilson like lesions may also occur in dogs in the absence of diabetic nephropathy and reveal similar microscopic aspects to the description related in humans and, that some factors, others than hyperglycaemia, may be responsible for the appearance of these lesions. Thus, dogs may provide a model of natural disease for further elucidation.
Peer review: yes
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10400.19/1592
Aparece nas colecções:ESAV - DZERV - Documentos de congressos (comunicações, posters, actas)

Ficheiros deste registo:
Ficheiro Descrição TamanhoFormato 
20 Mega et al K W ESP 24º ECP Praga 2012.pdf7,91 MBAdobe PDFVer/Abrir    Acesso Restrito. Solicitar cópia ao autor!


FacebookTwitterDeliciousLinkedInDiggGoogle BookmarksMySpace
Formato BibTex MendeleyEndnote Degois 

Todos os registos no repositório estão protegidos por leis de copyright, com todos os direitos reservados.